On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 12:36:27PM -0400, John Clark wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 7:14 AM, Russell Standish
> <li...@hpcoders.com.au>wrote:
> > Re Larmarkian evolution, cultural evolution is usually considered to be
> > an examplar of Lamarkian evolution. Knowledge accumulated in one life is
> > passed onto the next via books, or in the very olden day oral stories.
> >
> Yes but even there Darwinian natural selection is at work. Some ideas are
> good at infecting other minds and getting reproduce and thus can survive
> for thousands of generations, while other ideas are not good at that and
> vanish after a single generation. Of course minds work a lot faster than
> embryology so cultural evolution is vastly faster than biological evolution.

I never said otherwise. What is missing from cultural evolution is an
equivalent of the central dogma.

All evolutionary processes have variation, selection and
heredity. Lewontin said so. Not all evolutionary processes have the
central dogma - and even in biological evolution, epigenetic changes
violate the central dogma.

The central dogma and Lamarkianism is in contradiction. Whether the
central dogma is required for the label "Darwinian" to be applied
seems to be a matter of scholar's taste.  I usually avoid the
label, unless I happen to be talking about biological evolution, just
to avoid confusion.

Principal, High Performance Coders