In practice, in the past at least,  you are correct breeding is a process that
relies on the variation that sexual reproduction introduces. However in our
modern reality much of what is now being "bred" are GMOs and in these cases the
breeding is selecting the best outcomes.
Breeding is repeatedly selecting the "fittest" or most desirable individuals
out of a larger population based on evaluating the phenotypes for the presence
of desirable traits. While, I suppose, in principal, individual organisms could
have their individual DNA sequenced and then analyzed and selection could in
principal be based on this process -- in practice it has been based on
observations of variation across phenotypes.

Whether the phenotype being selected for results from certain combinations of
genes (arrived at by sexual reproduction), epigenetic changes that induce the
phenotype to change based on epigenetic changes in what DNA is getting
expressed, or even induced mutations -- when foreign DNA is introduced for
example form one species into another -- the process of breeding itself -- at
least in its logical goals and method does not really change.

When Monsanto is breeding Roundup ready corn for example, it most certainly is
not just re-arranging the existing genetic heritage of corn through the process
of sexual reproduction selecting for desired traits -- already inherent in the
corn plants genetic makeup. Certainly, you are correct that this is the classic
meaning of the term, but especially since the discovery that certain viral
vectors can be used, in a shotgun-like scattershot approach to insert (e.g.
blast) foreign DNA into an organism's own DNA and then through a process of
breeding the desired introduced traits can be selected for the meaning of what
is meant by breeding has come due for an update.

-Chris D