On Thu, Aug 29, 2013  Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote:

>> I have noticed a disturbing trend, the use of the word "emergent" as a
>> excuse for not thinking.
>>

> > Sometimes that might be the case. Here, it's context. Free will is a
> human concept.

That is incorrect,"free will" is not a human concept, "free will" is a
human noise. "Moo" is a bovine noise. And when somebody says something is
emergent, unless they give at least a hint of how it emerges and why, all
they're really pointing out is the limitations common words have in
uncommon situations; we usually don't encounter just one water molecule and
the usual understanding of the word "wet" works fine until we get to that
level.

  John K Clark