On Mon, Aug 26, 2013  Chris de Morsella <cdemorse...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> you cannot prove that things in the brain happen because of some
> proximate definable and identifiable cause or otherwise they must therefore
> result by a completely random process.

Bullshit. Axioms don't need proof, and the most fundamental axiom in all of
logic is that X is Y or X is not Y.  Everything else is built on top of
that.  And only somebody who was absolutely desperate to prove the innate
superiority of humans over computers would try to deny it.

> In a system as layered, massively parallel and highly noisy as the brain
> your assumptions of how it works are naïve and border on the comical. The
> brain is not a based on a simple deterministic algorithm in which the chain
> of cause and effect is always clear.

Although reductionism has recently received a lot of bad press from
supermarket tabloids and new age gurus the fact remains that if you want to
study something complex you've got to break it into simpler parts and then
see how the parts fit together. And in the final analysis things happen for
a reason or they don't happen for a reason; and if they did then it's
deterministic and if they didn't then it's random.

> You can copy the symbols on a sheet of paper , but without understanding
> Hungarian you will never be impacted by the meaning or sensations that poem
> is seeking to convey.

True but irrelevant. I never claimed we would someday understand how to
make an AI more intelligent than ourselves, I only said that someday such
an AI would get made.

  John K Clark