On 9/3/2013 12:32 PM, Dennis Ochei wrote:
Telmo and Brent,

The Humean quote sums it up nicely. You can think of a human as a collection of desires and a reasoning process that arbitrates between and attempts to realize them. In the process of reasoning, one might bring about new desires, but reasoning is always employed by desires one currently has.

Just couple days ago I was trying futilely to logically deduce what it is that I should want to do, I realized that "logic is the servant of desire," (im not quite as eloquent as hume, it seems...) and to find a logically justified want is futile. Desire is inherently illogical.

I'd say "extralogical". That doesn't mean though that your desires aren't caused (by evolution, by metabolism,...). Many of them may even be predictable - that's how advertising agencies make a living.

Turns out Hume beat me to this insight by quite a bit, but I suppose he had a
head start, =p

It seems that if we were completely logical, we would simply cease to function

Dostoevsky beat you to that one, "If everything on Earth were rational, nothing would happen." But he had a head start too. :-)