On 9/12/2013 6:42 PM, Platonist Guitar Cowboy wrote:

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 3:18 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 9/12/2013 8:08 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
    The difference is the following. Some say there is a broken glass, but
forbid you
    to ask "why there is a broken glass?".  That is what some materialist, and
all
    physicalist are doing for the notion of "physical universe". They say that
we
    cannot find an explanation of the origin of the physical laws, and insult as
    irremediably idiot anyone trying to search on that problem.

    There seems to be a lot of attributing of opinions to others.  My friend Vic
    Stenger, who's about as reductionist and physicalist as one can be, has
written a
    book, "The Comprehensible Cosmos" about the origin of physical "laws",
which he says
    are just models we create.  I don't know of any physicist who insists that
we cannot
    find an explanation for physical laws -

Ok but...

    although very few of them think the probability of success makes the study
a wise
    choice.

Doesn't this make the point? Their positions influence research/funding and low probability means practically "stupid"... also, how should anyone about probabilities with such a question? Not hubris? PGC

You're perfectly free to pursue the subject. Everybody has to decide for themselves how to spend their life. I don't think they owe you an explanation for their decision.