On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 11:08 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> Feyerabend was correct on this (at least).


I ask myself why in the 21'th century would any educated man agree with a
certified jackass like Feyerabend who said "the church at the time of
Galileo was much more faithful to reason than Galileo himself"  and "Its
verdict against Galileo was rational and just"? I can only think of 2
explanations for this very odd behavior:

1) The person does not really agree that the church at the time of Galileo
was much more faithful to reason than Galileo himself or that Its verdict
against Galileo was rational and just. Thus he was only trying to be
provocative.

2) The person sincerely believes that the church at the time of Galileo was
much more faithful to reason than Galileo himself and Its verdict against
Galileo was rational. Thus he is just not very bright.

I hope #1 is the explanation because as I have said, sincerity is a vastly
overrated virtue but intelligence is not.

>> None of Aristotle's ideas about physics were even close to being correct
>> and could have been easily refuted even in his own day, but instead it was
>> held as the gospel truth for almost 2000 years.
>>
>
>
> And probably Aristotle might have some responsibility for this. But being
> refuted is a glory, in science. It means that you have succeeded to be read
>

People read what pornographers have to say too.

> and have been enough precise to be wrong.
>

OK good point, I'll give you that.

 > in theology,
>

To hell with theology!

> you are the one still under the influence of Aristotle, which I think was
> due to a lack of understanding of Plato.
>

To hell with Aristotle and Plato!

> Plato was more correct with respect to comp
>

To hell with "comp"!

> If the physical universe did not exist  there would be no Moon, no Earth,
> no Sun, no atoms, no John Clark, and well things would be rather different.


Well, things are not different so logically we can only conclude that the
physical universe does exist. Now that we've got that settled let's move on
to other more interesting things.

> That is what some materialist, and all physicalist are doing for the
> notion of "physical universe". They say that we cannot find an explanation
> of the origin of the physical laws,
>

Straw man, I don't know anybody who is saying that. Science, or at least
theoretical physics, is all about explaining physical laws in terms of
other more general laws. Either this process goes on forever like a
infinitely nested Russian doll, or it does  not go on forever and come to a
end and some things are just fundamental and it is pointless when you reach
that level to ask "what is it made of?".

One of those things must be true, I don't know which one and nobody else
does either.

  John K Clark

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Everything List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Reply via email to