On 9/23/2013 11:49 AM, John Mikes wrote:
Brent - REPRODUCTION???? - in our 'biology' there is only one strain that reproduces: the prokaryotes by mitosis. In most(?) heterosex procreation you take TWO DIFFERENT ENTITIES and by combining some products of them you CREATE a third one, not identical to any of the "procreating" parents. Biologist friends were surprised, but finally agreed.

Dawkins would point out that it's genes that get reproduced.

There was ONE smartAlec who changed my topic to 'reproduction of the SPECIES' - which is fine, as long as we know much enough of the details of that 'specie' - what we usually don't. (Cf: drug-resistence of microbes).
"For an alien all humans are identical, even many animal kinds included."
I would not deny the Robert Rosen characteristics-cryterion: his M & R the Metabolism and Repair. I don't find it a definitive description, but in most cases it works fine as "main" attribute.
Reproduction? no way. A mule is alive.

Did you miss that I was making a distinction between 'life' (as in 'Is there life on Mars?') and 'being alive'. Sure a mule is alive. But mules don't constitute life.

Brent

JohnM