On 9/25/2013 8:54 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 6:45 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
On 9/23/2013 3:00 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 12:11 AM, John Mikes<jami...@gmail.com>  wrote:
Telmo:

would you have (by any chance...) a brief identification of something
that
comes to your mind when speaking about  " l i f e "  ? (And please,
forget
about the"bio" of this Earthbound Terrestrial Biosphere).
(To identify " live " is a bit easier I think.)
Hi John,

If I understand your question, I think I do have a general idea of
what I, informally, associate with life. I always tend to imagine some
self-contained system that is capable of procuring sources of energy
in its environment and use that energy to, more or less, maintain it's
structure.

For 'life', in contrast to 'being alive', I'd add reproduction. That's the
real defining characteristic of life.
I tend to agree, but maybe we're on the verge of transcending that. If
we clone some organism is it still reproduction? What if we tweak the
DNA?

Sure. It doesn't even have to involve DNA.  As Bruno pointed out cigarettes
reproduce too.

None of the robots that I've seen so far fit this ideal. Even if they
can look for an outlet and recharge their batteries, they are not
capable of deeply fixing themselves. They cannot use that energy to
rebuild some part of themselves that is damaged.

And your ability to do that is quite limited.  So if a robot could replace a
damaged limb with one from a supply cabinet it'd be one up on us.
Sure, but I feel there's something to the deep mechanisms of living
organisms, as I stated in my reply to John. I'm waxing poetic a bit
here, sorry!

What's 'deep' is that there's a whole complex interdependent system of life. You couldn't maintain your body if there were not all those plants and animals from which you can get pre-built proteins. Just like cigarettes couldn't reproduce without tobacco farmers.