On 5 October 2013 12:53, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 10/4/2013 7:18 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

> On Friday, October 4, 2013, meekerdb wrote:
>>
>> On 10/3/2013 5:07 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
>>
>> You seem to be agreeing with Craig that each neuron alone is conscious.
>>
>> The experiment relates to replacement of neurons which play some part
>> in consciousness. The 1% remaining neurons are part of a system which
>> will notice that the qualia are different.
>>

>> That assumes that 1% are sufficient to remember all the prior qualia with
>> enough fidelity to notice they are different.
>

> No, I assume the system of which the neurons are a part will notice a
> difference. If not, then the replacement has not changed the qualia.
>

> I don't understand that.  If the system can notice a difference, why does it
> need that 1%?  Why can't it detect a difference with 0% of the original
> remaining?  What's the 1% doing?

The question is whether swapping out part of the system for a
functional equivalent will change the qualia the system experiences
without changing the behaviour. I don't think this is possible, for if
the qualia change the subject would (at least) notice and say that the
qualia have changed, which constitutes a change in behaviour.
Therefore, the qualia and the behaviour are somehow inextricably
linked. The alternative, that the qualia are substrate dependent,
can't work.

--
Stathis Papaioannou