I had a similar thought about a chameleon brain (I call a p-Zelig instead
of a p-zombie), which would impersonate behaviors of whatever environment
it was placed into. Unlike a philosophical zombie, which would have no
personal qualia but seem like it does from the outside, the chameleon brain
would explicitly forbid having any particular qualia, since its entire
processing would be devoted to computing cross-modal generalities. It is
intentionally not trying to be a person, it is just trying to mirror
anything - clouds, wolves, dandelion, whatever, according to the
measurements it takes using a large variety of peripheral detectors.