On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com>wrote:

> [...]
> suddenly,
> > in computing on one move, black gets a ten point lead despite material
> and
> > positional sacrifice because the computer sees suddenly that unavoidably
> > white is mated.
> >
> > Of course, with database all the computer has to do is refutation move
> like
> > pawn a4 early enough, which prevents the mess above at its root in the
> game.
> > But we don't have algorithms to find these really vague (in terms of
> > position and material) but precise variations (in terms of fuzzy felicity
> > conditions for long term strategy; which pieces of black become crucial
> is
> > open depending on particular game, save the queen, so you can't define
> "if
> > black sacrifices piece x this indicates gambit" independent of position
> for
> > example), even though now computers are helping GMs find these types of
> > variations!
> >
> > Therefore, the whole pitting "human vs. computer" makes little sense to
> me
> > in chess until we have computing power to solve chess completely or
> prove it
> > undecidable. Human and computer are playing the same game, and without
> the
> > right memory and branch, both are lost. I guess a GM panel with complete
> > access to code, databases, and hardware specs could, given sufficient
> time
> > that nobody would finance, find lines long and complex enough to beat a
> > computer, and a GM panel without the code and in an unfamiliar branch
> > doesn't have a chance against an entertainment engine they sell on
> itunes!
> >
> > The question regarding superiority should be: what are we even proving
> here,
> > given we write the code and we designed the game? Right, the distinction
> > between machine and human becomes blurry. Every discovery of line
> enriches
> > the game up to this point. Even when or if a super computer solves
> chess, it
> > will not have done so without the notes of monks' games in the 15th
> century.
> > PGC
>
> PGC,
>
> Thanks for the detailed explanation from someone who actually knows
> something about chess. I will keep this in my files :)
>
> My high-level objection is very simple: chess was an excuse to pursue
> AI. In an era of much lower computational power, people figured that
> for a computer to beat a GM at chess, some meaningful AI would have to
> be developed along the way. I don' thing that Deep Blue is what they
> had in mind. IBM cheated in a way. I do think that Deep Blue is an
> accomplishment, but not _the_ accomplishment we hoped for.

I don't disagree with this. Deep Blue was pure PR to push PC revolution.
GMs play each other, more for fun than anything else, with strong chess
engines by their side. This combines long term strategical experience with
the computer offering best possible moves. The GM then either decides that
one of the computer's suggestions is actually better than what she/he had
in mind strategically, or that the computer is deviating from the GM's
strategy because they don't see far enough, or understand psychology, aims,
strategy of the opponent.

That's what it boils down to. Given ceilings in performance and precise
limitations of software (some computational horizon), the computer
psychology can be pried open and lines can be found that exceed these
limitations, like with any other opponent!

A recent example of how a powerful engine is unusually defeated by a GM
that understands its psychology is found in the following link, which is
unfortunately tainted by "Human is better than computer"- ideology
nonesense; nonetheless, you can get picture about how a GM recently
proceeded to beat, in this case, to humiliate an engine that can evaluate
more positions in a game, than he can in his life.

http://www.chess.com/article/view/computers-in-chess-good-or-evil-part-two

Then again, based on this game, you would tweak the software accordingly to
avoid the trap. And the GMs would have to exploit other limitations and
vulnerabilities. PGC

> I believe there will be an AI renaissance and I hope to be alive to
> witness it. But for this renaissance to take place, I think two
> cultural shifts have to happen:
>
> - A disinterest with the "science as the new religion" stance, leading
> to a truly scientific detachment from findings. Currently, everything
> that touches the creation of intelligence is ideologically loaded from
> all sides of the discussion. This taints honest scientific inquiry;
>
> - New economic structures that allow humanity to pursue complex goals
> outside the narrow short-term focus on profit of corporatism or the
> pointless status wars of academia.

That's the real tragedy imho. Even if somebody were to develop highly
effective learning algorithms for more general sets of problems, they'd
have no interest to share it, because NSA, Google, Facebook, defense
departments, banks pay better short term than public interest in the long
run. But there will be rebels and double agents, as always... and they need
your money, lol! PGC