On 10/27/2013 8:45 PM, LizR wrote:
I have been under the impression that violence has been decreasing, on average, over historical time, that is to say the proportion of people dying violently and being injured by violence has tended to decrease over time. I believe the number of wars has decreased over historical time, and continues to do so, which I attribute to improved communications. In my opinion it becomes more difficult to demonise an enemy as one is better able to contact and communicate with them, so the advent of photography, television, the internet and so on have all incrementally improved the situation.

It has been argued that the ability to kill from a distance, without face to face combat makes it easier to kill. But on the other hand it also allows those in combat to maintain more innocence. Once you've killed some people face-to-face it becomes easier to kill more.

I must admit the evidence I have for this is mainly anecdotal so if Stephen Pinker has written on the subject he may have pulled together the various pieces of evidence which I personally have only come across occasionally.

 The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined

 Steven Pinker

http://www.amazon.com/The-Better-Angels-Our-Nature/dp/0143122010/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382934843&sr=8-1&keywords=steven+pinker

Brent