> Couldn't there just be a routine that traps the error of believing they are
> intelligent?

In parallel to Bruno's reply, one problem I see with naif AI is one
that you may sympathise with: it is mostly built with symbols that are
directly imported from humans. So if there is some
"isIntelligent(self)" function that it can call, this is already too
naif, you turned the thing into a mindless parrot.

Real AI will be able to create its own representations, just like we
do. Artificial Neural Networks and Evolutionary Computation do this to
a degree, but are too black-boxy for my (current) taste.

> Since you are a machine that understands that believing you are
> intelligent is stupid, why do you still have to have a terrestrial hard
> life?

Maybe the answer is simply: because it's possible.

Telmo.