I know, I know. But there does seem to be a historical decline in violence,
on average and over a long time, which I've heard about from various
sources, the latest being Stephen Pinker. This is probably happening for a
number of reasons. One is perhaps improved communications, but probably
more important is improving living standards, the more people have the less
they have motives to fight over stuff.  And improving education helps, as
do global movements to improve human rights (votes for women and the 8 hour
working day - as opposed to about 15 - both started in New Zealand, I'm
told :)

Of course we aren't quite at a global techno-utopia yet.