Well, the facts (as I was told them) is that violence and war have steadily
declined, on average, over the past few centuries. Also, there are
apparently far less autocratic rulers now than was the case in the past. My
personal theory is as I described in my last post, but it is purely a
lay-person's theory, and may be either wrong or - more likely - only part
of the truth.

On the subject of violence being easier with modern weapons, that is of
course true, it's very difficult to imagine killing 70,000 people in an
hour or so as happened at Hiroshima, for example, with pre-atomic weapons,
unless whole armies were involved. Yet I would say that (and Nagasaki)
served to make subsequent nuclear war less likely. I have to admit that the
idiocy of America over personal possession of firearms is a counter
example, as is the US's recent foreign policy. But I'm still hopeful that
the historical trends are real.