On 11/6/2013 7:40 PM, LizR wrote:
On 7 November 2013 16:30, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 11/6/2013 6:18 PM, LizR wrote:
    On 7 November 2013 14:39, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net
    <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

        There's a continuum of behavior which at the extreme absence of empathy
we call
        psychopathy or sociopathy.  But that doesn't mean more empathy is
better.
        Sometimes it's good to be hard hearted. Should we have been nicer to the
        Neanderthals?

    We'll never know. But we do know we evolved to cope with a world that is
very far
    removed from the one we have. Is there any reason to believe evolution got
    everything right? We've already made changes to other aspects of our being,
both
    physically and psychologically. But certain aspects of our behaviour still
seem to
    be stuck in a distant past when life was almost always nasty, brutish and
short.

    Indeed I think we have evolved significantly over the last 10,000yrs.  Just
look at
    the difference between wolves and dogs.  If we've adapted wolves to
civilization
    like that, it's pretty certain that we have been adapted too, by the
unnatural
    selection of culture.  But I'd beware to trying to create the Ubermensch by
genetic
    engineering (c.f. Greg Egan's short story "Eugene" in "Axiomatic").

I can assure you life was often nasty brutish and short far more recently than 10,000 years ago.

Sure, and we've no doubt adapted to dealing with our fellow brutes.

But I'm afraid you've contradicted yourself :) ... if we've adapted our genome culturally, we're /already/ creating the ubermensch by genetic engineering.

Selective breeding isn't exactly genetic engineering. Of course the Ubermensch may turn out to an AI system plus robots.