On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 4:26 AM, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com>wrote:

> the fossil fuel industry doesn't have to convince anyone that global
> warming isn't happening,

There is no doubt that the climate is changing but that is nothing new, the
climate has ALWAYS been changing. Other than a few very brief ice ages
during the last few million years the temperature has always been warmer
than now and occasionally MUCH warmer; at least that's the way things have
been during the last 600 million years. And by the way, right now the sea
is rising at the rate of about one inch every 10 years, that would make for
a rather dull Hollywood style disaster movie so it's not surprising that
environmentalists make exaggerated claims, it's the way they stay employed,
and without scare tactics many environmental groups would be out of
business.

  > As Albert says, knowledge doesn't produce action.

One action environmentalists haven't produced is a cure that isn't far
worse than the disease. They say global warming will somehow lead to human
extinction but will shout down anyone who even mentions nuclear energy
which produces no greenhouse gasses. They say we're headed for a disaster
of Biblical proportions but try to paint  Nathan Myhrvold, the former chief
technical officer at Microsoft, as a villain for suggesting ways a cooler
planet could be engineered if increasing heat turned out to be a serious
problem in a century or two. Environmentalists claim to occupy the moral
high ground but because of a superstitious fear of all genetic engineering
they oppose Golden Rice even to the point of criminal sabotage which could
prevent 670,000 children a year from dying of vitamin A deficiency and
350,000 go permanently blind. Environmentalists blab on and on about the
evils of chemical pesticides but when science develops plants that need
much less of them they do everything they can to stop it.

Instead environmentalists insist that 7 billion people can be kept alive
and in comfort with moonbeams and hummingbirds and windmills powering blast
furnaces.

> if the global warming models are correct, that is already too late. If I
> understand the most common models correctly, it _is_ already too late.

If it's already too late then I humbly submit that the best thing that
environmentalists could do is stop making scary sounds with their pie hole
and let us enjoy the little time we have left before "fire and brimstone
come down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness!
Earthquakes, volcanoes...
<http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001368/?ref_=tt_trv_qu>the dead rising from
the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass
hysteria..."

   John K Clark