From: LizR <lizj...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Sun, Nov 17, 2013 1:17 am
Subject: Re: Nuclear power

On 16 November 2013 19:54, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

On 11/15/2013 8:36 PM, Chris de      Morsella wrote:

First, I think maybe we disagree as to what constitutes a police    state.  My
definition of it is one in which the police can    investigate and interrogate
anyone at anytime on any suspicion    without judicial warrant and enforce some
political orthodoxy that    in turn supports their power.  It has nothing to do
with having very    tight security around some particular installation (like
nuclear    weapons plants and ICBM silos).  It wouldn't even be useful in
protecting LFTR powerplants.

Are you sure we don't already live in a police state (or rather several) ?
Certainly that appeared (to me at least) to be what GWB was aiming for, and I'm
not sure BO has changed course. And of course the UK and NZ and others are
eagerly following suit...

But apart from that, I agree - we don't need a police state to keep fissionable
material out of the wrong hands, we need good security - something the nuclear
industry has, however, been somewhat lacking in historically.

(I assume "Edge of Darkness" was a documentary...)