On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 01:01:44PM -0800, meekerdb wrote:
> On 11/15/2013 11:06 AM, John Clark wrote:
> >
> >Lets look at the disasters associated with various energy producing projects:
> >
> >In 1975 the Shimantan/Banqiao hydroelectric Dam in China failed and killed
> >171,000 people.
> >
> >In 1979 the Three Mile Island reactor melted down and killed nobody.
> >
> >In 1986 the Chernobyl nuclear plant melted down and killed 31
> >immediately and 4000 many decades later.
> >
> >In 1979 the Morvi hydroelectric Dam in India failed and killed 1500 people,
> >
> >In 1998 a oil pipeline in Nigeria exploded and killed 1078 people.
> >
> >In 1907 the Monongah Coal Mine in West Virginia exploded and killed well
> >over 500 people.
> >
> >In 1944 a liquified natural gas factory exploded in Cleveland Ohio and
> >killed 130 people.
> >
> >In 2011 the Fukushima nuclear power plant melted down and killed nobody.
> Not only that, coal mining releases a lot more radioctivity into the
> atmosphere than nuclear plants ever have.
> Brent

For all the arguments pro and con nuclear fission, including an
impassioned speech by a 16 year old last night to a UN Youth Voice
competition, what never seems to be discussed is the elephant in the
room of how much uranium resources we have. IIUC, if all fossil fuel
power plants were replaced by conventional fission reactors, we'd burn
through our uranium supplies in about 50 years flat. So fission
reactors do not solve the problem. Of course there is fast breeder
technology, but everbody is so shit scared about all the plutonium that
would then appear on the market, making it incredibly easy for rogue
states to construct nuclear weapons, that I don't see that happening
any time soon either.

Principal, High Performance Coders