On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 8:12 AM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 November 2013 22:41, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 1:02 AM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > This is quite simple. Markets ignore the commons, hence a free market
>> > solution can't - or is highly unlikely - to work.
>>
>> Yes, but this is circular. You're saying that the market cannot work
>> for things that you do not allow to be part of the market. The
>> government has to exist, otherwise how is the government to exist?
>

> It isn't a question of not allowing the commons to be part of the market.
> YOU try convincing a private organisation to put lots of resources into
> fixing the commons. Try and persuade, say, Dell or Oracle or McDonalds that
> they should spend a substantial part of their revenue building motorways or
> fixing the climate, and see how far you get.

There is a huge market for roads. Both McDonalds and Dell need them to
distribute their stuff. Why would they not be built? Sounds like a
great investment. But there would be less roads, that's for sure. For
example, my bankrupt home country probably wouldn't have two highways
running 10 Km parallel to each other, like you can see here (A17 and
A1):

https://maps.google.com/?ll=39.880235,-8.539124&spn=0.658647,1.18103&t=m&z=10

They both charge expensive tolls, by the way. A17 is always empty, but
that's not a problem because the "company" that built it has a
guaranteed minimum profits contract with the government that tax
payers have to support.

Reducing carbon emissions will not be a problem once the alternatives
become efficient, and thus profitable. Unless, of course, the oil
companies manage to lobby the government to prevent it.

If we are facing an extinction level event where the only chance of
survival is to shut down civilisation for a while, then we are dead
already. That is never going to happen, government or no government.

Telmo.