2013/11/18 meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net>

> [...]
>> to provide you with a pension. Now that this system is collapsing,
>> existing pensions are being cut, future pensions are uncertain and the
>> age of retirement is rising. Yet, people don't pay less to social
>> security.
>>
>> The pattern seems to always be the same: an initial reasonable plan,
>> then a slow slide down a long sequence of small "corrections" and
>> "mistakes" that eventually lead to pure obligation with nothing in
>> return. Now, most UE citizens are resigned to the idea that they have
>> to pay taxes to make up for past mistakes and expect nothing in
>> return. This was attained by a process of slow cooking.
>>
>>  You're protesting against a plan that you imagine.

>>> Sure, there's a lot of luddite resistance fed by scares like Fukushima.
>>>  The
>>> important role I see for government is driving the R&D to LFTRs.  It's
>>> too
>>> big and too politically risky to expect private investment to take it on.
>>> It needs government funded and government protected development - just
>>> like
>>> the internet, spaceflight, uranium reactors, vaccination,
>>> intercontinental
>>> railroads, and just about any other really big technological development.
>>>
>> I'll comment on two: the internet and railroads.
>>
>> The internet is the synergistic outcome of a number of technologies. I
>> am fairly certain that no government desired the internet as it exists
>> today.
>>

> First, that's your supposition.  If you named anything in the world "as it
> exists today" there would be some government, maybe even all people, who
> would want it to be different, not "as it exists today", in some respect.
>
> But it was created and developed by government funded organizations.  By
> DARPA, by CERN.
>

>  I can be fairly certain because they're using large chunks of
>> our money to try to make it go away in its current format. Many
>> different protocols were dreamt of. Creating a working internet
>> protocol does not take a genius. It just so happened that TCP/IP
>> gained popularity faster than other alternatives. A very great part of
>> what makes the internet what it is today is open-source software.
>> Sure, many companies and government organisations got in that action
>> too for a number of reasons. But we saw an entire unix kernel being
>> developed in front of our eyes by a Finnish kid and his followers. I
>> remembered when this was laughed at, something that only a gigantic
>> serious effort by government and corporations could achieve.
>>

> So you want to denigrate the government's role because the government just
> created the market?
>

>  That it
>> would only ever be a toy. Now it powers Google, the majority of cell
>> phones and several governments run on it.
>>

> No, the majority of phones now use Android which was developed by Google

Just for the record, android runs on linux kernel... android is essentially
an user space layer on top of the linux kernel... Except that I mostly
agree with your position... This example is not something to show that
"free" market works alone... no kernel was ever develop by government
anyway... so what ?