I heard that hydrogen nuclei in the sun fuse after on average 5 billion
years of wandering around bumping into each other (I guess that's kind of
obvious - the Sun is due to "live" for about 10 billion years, so it must
use its fuel at a comparable rate). So the energy production per volume
would seem fairly low - one in 5 billion nuclei fuse per year, or one in
150 x 10^15 per second. I guess density is around 10^23 per cubic meter
give or take an order of magnitude, so about a million atoms fuse per cubic
metre/second. If I read Wikipedia right, each one releases about 7 Mev so a
million release about 7 x 10^12 ev or around 10^-6 J/sec, which I believe
is one microwatt.

Damn, I've slipped up somewhere, haven't I? Maybe someone with more of a
head for maths can do the calculation properly.