On 26 November 2013 10:02, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would also have been surprised to know that the second half of the 20'th
> century was far less bloody than the firs halft.
>
> There is a historical trend towards less violence, I believe. I put it
down to improved technology generally which lets us more easily get to know
people from distant lands (and therefore less able to demonise them), plus
it makes it more difficult for tyrants to hold sway - because ignorance is
their chief weapon - although the latter trend is perhaps in danger of
being reversed by hi-tech surveillance etc.