On 26 November 2013 14:19, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's not the lobby that is powerful or wealthy, (the NRA has only 4
> million members), it's that there are a large number of gun owners in
> america and many of them are willing to vote to maintain their right to
> continue to own one.  Over 50% of adult males and over 50% of households in
> the US own a gun.  It isn't the lobby that keeps the politicians from
> passing anti-gun legislation, it is the voters.  (e.g., We wouldn't say
> there is a rich and powerful reproductive rights lobby (it's that it is an
> important issue to a large segment of the population)).

Guns aren't in the same league as "reproductive rights" (which were of
course successfully legislated for decades in China). A lot of people want
to reproduce, but most people don't want to own guns. You don't hear people
in countries other than the US objecting because they don't have a gun in
every household, or (hehe) banging on about how everyone should have some
God-given right to be able to shoot other people whenever they feel like it
. Who taught Americans that they needed so many more guns than anyone in
any other country wants to own? Most people in most countries hardly ever
*see* a gun (except on TV shows imported from the US). I don't feel that
I'm being deprived because I don't own a gun, and I suspect the same is
true of about 95% of the world's population.