On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 8:37 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26 November 2013 14:19, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> It's not the lobby that is powerful or wealthy, (the NRA has only 4
>> million members), it's that there are a large number of gun owners in
>> america and many of them are willing to vote to maintain their right to
>> continue to own one.  Over 50% of adult males and over 50% of households in
>> the US own a gun.  It isn't the lobby that keeps the politicians from
>> passing anti-gun legislation, it is the voters.  (e.g., We wouldn't say
>> there is a rich and powerful reproductive rights lobby (it's that it is an
>> important issue to a large segment of the population)).
>>

> Guns aren't in the same league as "reproductive rights"

My point is that it is the voters that are the basis of not passing new
laws, not some powerful gun lobby.

> (which were of course successfully legislated for decades in China). A lot
> of people want to reproduce, but most people don't want to own guns.

The percentage of people in the US who want guns to be legal is on the same
order (if not greater than) as those who want abortion to be legal.

> You don't hear people in countries other than the US objecting because
> they don't have a gun in every household, or (hehe) banging on about how
> everyone should have some God-given right to be able to shoot other people
> whenever they feel like it .

I've never heard anyone object to there not being a gun in every household
or claiming the right to shoot other people whenever they feel like it.

> Who taught Americans that they needed so many more guns than anyone in any
> other country wants to own?

The British.

> Most people in most countries hardly ever *see* a gun (except on TV shows
> imported from the US).

There are plenty of countries with very high rates of gun ownership.
 Canada, Switzerland, France, Finland, Sweeden, Norway, Sweeden, Iceland
all have over 30 guns per 100 people, and they don't have a violence
problem because they don't have an aggressive drug war and high levels of
wealth disparity.  Gang(prohibition)-related murders account for the vast
majority of the murders in the U.S.

> I don't feel that I'm being deprived because I don't own a gun, and I
> suspect the same is true of about 95% of the world's population.

Most people wouldn't feel deprived if they weren't allowed to play hockey,
or go scuba diving, or take LSD, but if you are one of those people who
likes playing hockey, or going scuba diving, or take LSD, you certainly
would feel deprived if what you wanted to have or do was made illegal.

Jason