On 12/16/2013 11:26 PM, LizR wrote:
On 17 December 2013 19:01, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    I know.  I was just taking 10^80 to mean "a very big number" which of
course depends
    on context.  I generally do applied physics and engineering and so 10^80+1
= 10^80
    for physical variables.

That reminds me of a joke...

...but you've probably heard it already, so I will stick to the point.

10^80 + 1 may happen to be a prime number (I leave the proof (or disproof) up to Stephen Paul King as an exercise in applied mathematical reasoning) in which case it is very different from 10^80 in terms of its mathematical properties, even though it is the same when used physically "for all intents and purposes" - since we already know that 10^80 is divisible by 10 (how did I work that, out without even being able to imagine 10^80 objects? It's like magic...! :)

Which is a true statement in mathematics. But suppose I said the number of protons in the universe was 10^88, would you then know that the number of protons was divisible by 10?

Brent
Notice that it's a trick question.