On 12/29/2013 5:19 PM, Edgar L. Owen wrote:
All,

All,

Once we accept the obvious observable fact that we share a common present moment when we are together we need to take the next step and establish that we also share a common present moment when we are separated in space. Only if we can prove that can we establish that the present moment is universal, that the same present moment is shared across the universe.

Obviously we cannot establish this by direct observation due to the finite speed of light, but it is easy to prove with the following argument.

Step 1: Two observers stand together with the same clock times on their watches and shake hands. By direct observation they confirm they share both the same actual present moment time, and the same clock time.

And that the clock's run at the same rate.  Right?

Step 2: One observer makes a 1 year space flight at relativistic acceleration while the other remains where he was. During this period both observers continuously exist in their own actual present moment, and their clocks appear to progress at a constant proper time rate.

Step 3. The traveling observer returns and shakes hands with the observer who remained behind. Again, by direct observation they both confirm they both share the exact same actual present moment time but their clock times are no longer the same. Their actual present moment times are the same, but their clock times are not simultaneous.

This is confusing "being at the same event" with "measuring the same duration". Of course they are at the same event. But they are different durations away from their previous shared event.

At this point it is obvious that actual present time and clock time are two different things. Both observers confirm this by direct observation.

Now the question is can we confirm that both observers also shared the exact same actual present times during their separation in space? Yes we can and the argument is simple. Both observer's actual present times and their clock times were continuous during the 1 year they were separated. There was always both some actual present moment and some actual clock time. During the separation period each observer was always continuously extant in time as both actual present time and clock time progressed.

Now since both observers started at the same present moment of time and ended at the same actual present moment of time and since each observer always had some present moment during the separation it is obvious that at every point in each observer's actual present time there must have been a corresponding point in the other observer's actual present time. In every point in each observer's actual present moment the other observer must have been doing something at the same actual present moment time. This is because there was never a gap in either observer's present moment, a moment when they didn't exist in their present moment, thus there must be a one to one mapping of actual present moments even when the observers were separated.

But there is no *unique* one-to-one mapping. In Newtonian physics there was. But in special relativity the one-to-one mapping depends on the choice of inertial frame and the speed of light is the same in every frame so there is no preferred inertial frame.

Think of two points on a sheet of graph paper, one vertically above the other. Join the points by one straight vertical line and one curved line which will be of greater length. The vertical grids will correspond to the passage of present moment P-time while the different lengths along the lines will correspond to their clock times. Note that while clock time passes at different rates on the two lines, P-time, the vertical distance between the grids, passes at the same rate across both lines. And there is ALWAYS a corresponding point on both lines that represents the same present moment time where the lines are intersected by the same grid line.

There is no unique point that is "at the same time". It is arbitrary up to a choice of reference frame. I have suggested that the CMB can provide a preferred reference frame so long as the universe is isotropic and homogeneous. But this introduces other problems. (1) We're not on a preferred frame (2) clocks run at different rates because of the expansion of the universe.

Thus there is always a common present moment no matter how observers may be separated in space.

This is also confirmed by the fact that the observers left from the same actual present moment and returned to the same actual present moment. The observer who traveled has a clock that reads less than a year passed while the observer who stayed behind has a clock that tells him a year has passed BUT their actual present moments are simultaneous (because they can observably confirm that by shaking hands both before and after the trip) and thus must also always have been simultaneous during the period of separation.

This conclusively proves that observers inhabit the exact same actual present moment both when they are at the same place and when they are separated in space. Thus we must conclude there is a common universal present moment that all observers inhabit, and thus that that common universal present moment is the only moment anything exists in, that it is the only locus of reality.

This conclusively proves that there are two kinds of time, clock time which is measured by clocks, and the actual universal present time moment (P-time) that is common to all observers, and that clock time and P-time are only synchronous in non-relativistic situations. Clock times vary with relativistic circumstance but P-time doesn't. It remains simultaneous for all observers in all circumstances. Everything continually inhabits the same actual P-time present moment.

But what that moment is depends on an arbitrary choice of reference frame and so can have no physical significance.

Brent

I don't think the argument can be expressed much clearer and more obviously than that. If it still isn't clear then so be it.

Edgar