On 12/29/2013 11:58 PM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 29 Dec 2013, at 20:35, meekerdb wrote:

On 12/29/2013 6:10 AM, Edgar L. Owen wrote:
Liz,

No, it is clear that your here is not the same as mine because you are not here. However it is quite clear that you absolutely must be doing something in the exact same present moment that I write this sentence. That is the present moment that we share.

No, that's not clear at all. Since you and Liz are not in the same place and the speed of light is the same in all inertial frames, there exist a whole range of Liz's moments which may correspond to your moment depending on which moving frame is arbitrarily chosen to determine simultaneity.

Yes. Presentism does not make sense with special relativity. "present" is an indexical. No need and in fact no means, to reify the "present".

Do you somehow imagine that there is some gap in your time line that takes you out of existence as I write this sentence? If there isn't then you must agree we do share a common present moment...

But it is not uniquely defined.

A long time ago, in my childhood, I saw a movie with a friend. My friend found the movie boring, and he felt like if it never ends: time was going slowly, for him. But I loved that movie, and time was going very quickly for me. We discussed that after, and I was troubled. Was we still at the same moment?
Well, with computationalism, that question just does not make any sense.

Being at the same event, same point of spacetime, should still make sense.