On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 12:43 AM, Stephen Paul King <
stephe...@provensecure.com> wrote:

> Dear Jason,
>
>   You seem to be ignoring the role of the transitory that is involved in
> the discussion here.

I am not ignoring it, but showing it is unnecessary to suppose it is
fundamental rather than emergent.

> The fact is that we are asking questions about things we are trying to
> understand.

Right, that is good.

> Merely stating that this is that ignores the point.

Isn't that how explanations work?

> Where doth change emerge if it does not exist at all?

It emerges in our minds, just like colors, sounds, emotions, etc.  There is
a condition known as akinetopsia in which its suffers lose the ability to
experience time (at least as we do). They experience the world as a series
of static snapshots, without conception of time or motion. One woman
expressed her trouble with crossing the street, and pouring a cup of tea,
since she couldn't tell which cars were moving or stopped, and when pouring
tea it seemed frozen like a glacier.  You might consider this as some
evidence that we owe our perception of change to some extra layer of
processing done by our brain.

>   This is my problem with Platonia, it has no explanation for the
> appearance of change.

It can, if we don't require it to be fundamental and are willing to look
for explanations of it.

Your problem with platonia is as much a problem with special relativity,
because special relativity requires a four-dimensional existence, in which
all "nows" are equally real.

Jason

We can point at this or that (figuratively speaking) as an explanation, but