Edgar,

The structure of Minkowski spacetime is explained here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minkowski_space Once one decides on a
coordinate system, every point can be assigned a unique x,y,z,t position.
Hence the meeting of two observers to compare clocks can be assigned a
unique x,y,z,t position. Their clocks will differ according to the paths
they took through space-time to reach the meeting point.

According to SR that is all you need to know. If you want to add anything
more you need to explain why it's important - what physical difference it
makes.

Of course a cellular automaton or similar quantisation of space-time, as
required for a computational theory of reality, rquires an absolute rest
frame and a synchronised clock. Personally, although I find such theories
attractive, I have long regarded this as a problem with them, which in my
opinion they have not yet adequately addressed (although placing the cells
on the light come might work, in Minkowski space - but somehow I doubt it).