On 22 Jan 2014, at 02:00, Edgar L. Owen wrote:

Stephen,

A lot of good stuff in your post. I'll come back to some of it later after I think more on it but first wanted to clarify a couple of your points.

You say "the UDA serves a good purpose to show that there is some ontological merit in the idea that Numbers can serve as a fundamental ground for Mind as a Platonic Form. It is the "timeless" spacial case."

By "timeless special case" it seems like you are implying the UDA is not an ACTUAL case describing a reality that we agree necessarily must move. So it seems like you are saying that though the UDA might somehow shed some light on reality it is not actually describing reality as it actually is. Is that correct?

Another problem with the UDA is I see no way a Platonia consisting of pure arithmetic can possible know how to actually compute what is actually occurring in the universe. How does pure static arithmetic truth know anything about what is actually happening where and how to compute which particles are interacting with which particles in what ways? I see no way that works at all.

Can we agree on something like "Bruno's UDA is not an applicable description of a reality we agree actually moves, that actually includes the notion of 'becoming'?

Second point in this post is I AGREE with you that "it is a mistake to assume that there is only a single computation going on." for a number of reasons. I've never claimed that. Sorry if that wasn't clear before.

I think the most reasonable model is a single computational REALITY (not a single computation) that contains myriads of computations each computing the current state of reality in computational interaction with its information environment (environment in a logical sense, not a dimensional or spatial sense).

This model avoids your concurrency problem, and a single computational reality allows computational continuity and consistency across the entire computational universe (again a logical, not physical dimensional spatial universe).

Can we agree on something like "There is a single computational reality

Yes. A tiny part of arithmetic contains that, with the standard definition of computation, and Church thesis.

which includes myriads of ongoing computations which together continually compute the current state of the universe"?

No. It only computes infinitely often all dreams, and the FPI (the First Person Indeterminacy on all my states in arithmetic) generates the "persistent illusion" of a physical multiverse.

Bruno

Edgar