Dear Edgar,

  We can get to the root of the obstruction, perhaps, is the nature of
perception. If perception, physically speaking, is the mere matching
between some bit of the world to some bit in the brain (or whatever is
running the recursively enumerable functions) then this would match up with
the Block Universe concept.  The representational (or numerical or
computational) picture would involve a mapping between identical bits in a
way that is parallel to the physical picture.
   If, on the other hand, there is some form of irreducible transitional
action required for perception then both the Platonic notions and the Block
Universe have a fatal flaw. Real world computations do not occur in zero
time. There is a delay. In the case of humans this delay has been measured
to be between 50 and 100 milliseconds. The world you perceive is an image
of the world up to 100ms in the past. There is evidence for irreducible
time in perception.
   Cogito ergo eram: I think, therefore I was.

Computing the universe separately, as you propose, does not solve this
obstruction in the nature of perception.

Kindest Regards,

Stephen Paul King

Senior Researcher

Mobile: (864) 567-3099