No matter how I try to slice it,  the 'opinions' about computation seem to
be restricted to a reductionist view of mathematical base - maybe including
some physical terms (entropy? information as 'bit' etc.) as well.
No wonder, the List-members are hooked in these domains.
I started out with the Latin word-origin:  "cum" + "putare" -  to THINK
WITH... or TOGETHER. to put 2 (or more) ideas together and derive some
solution of more than a single line. Of course it can be exploited in
math-terms as well and if somebody is anchored in the physical terms, such
will surface sooner, or later.
Which s=does not mean that the 'concept' of a computation is restricted to
such utilitarianism.

I was hoping that some "free" minds  may pick up my more extended idea and
respond in kind.
No such chance.
The learned members repeat their usual wordings - no matter what.

Stephen started a fresh initiative:
*...Not everything. It would embrace the category of emulations,
simulations, representations and all other information related aspects of
the universe. It is not necessary for this Category to be identified with
the physical world*....
but fell back soon, continuing
*...Yes, it must be related to the physical but that relation can be a
morphism to another Category: that of physical objects, forces,
thermodynamics, energy, etc....*
I almost cried Heureka!.
Those figments are useful aslong as they serve their purpose - to some
extent. Not as a 'Brunoish theology' of them all. Just compare our world
(?) viewed today with that of how it was viewed millennia ago. Or with the
view before 'entropy' was started to expand beyond the 2nd law's natural
processes.
Or before QM?
Who dares to draw conclusions FOREVER? how we will look at the world during
the next millennium?

As I expressed several times: I appreciate the results of OUR (conventional
- reductionst) sciences and technology, but it is an "almost" true wisdom.
John Mikes