On 19 February 2014 00:15, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 11:22:55PM +0000, David Nyman wrote:
> > On 18 February 2014 22:34, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au>
> wrote:

> that the
> > > since
> activity
> notion
> > > of
> > > need
> > > >

> > > If the counterfactuals are physical (Multiverse situation), then we
> > > are automatically in a robust universe (for which the reversal is
> > > already addressed by step 7).
> >

> > Right. Sorry if I'm being a bit slow. I can see that if there is a
> > Multiverse then we automatically get the physical counterfactuals in any
> > given situation. But I'm not sure that I get the point that a physical
> > Multiverse guarantees the actual physical computation of the UD (or
> rather
> > its completed trace), which I assume is necessary to the reversal (in the
> > sense that the infinity of computation intrinsic to the UD* is assumed to
> > swamp every competing measure). I guess that means that I haven't
> > understood quite what is meant by robust here. Can you help with what I'm
> > missing?
>
> Fair enough - it's a bit subtle. A quantum computation running in a
> Multiverse has all possible states of its input bits executed
> simulatenously. That is the meaning of a qubit. I can run a variant of
> the dovetailer algorithm that actually executes its program in
> parallel, exponentially speeding up the process. Our observed universe
> has sufficient quantum computing resources to be able to run enough of
> the UD to end up emulating conscious observers.
>
> It seems clear to me that the physical processes we see
> instantiating consciousness are quantum in nature, spread out over the
> Multiverse, executing a collection of programs like a dovetailer,
> including conscious ones.
>
> So whilst the Multiverse may not be strictly speaking robust in the sense
> of having infinite computational resources, it does have sufficient
> resources to emulate enough of the dovetailer to include consious
> programs, and in fact is doing so, by virtue of the fact we observe
> consioud processes. This is enough for the distinction beween step 7
> and step 8.

Ah, right. So one has to keep in mind that it takes the running of the UD
(or at least enough of it) to support a coherent formulation of CTM in the
first place (essentially because once one assumes that consciousness
supervenes on computation it becomes illegitimate to place arbitrary
restrictions on what computations are deemed to exist). If so, assuming
CTM, one can then use the a posteriori fact of conscious observation to
justify the claim that the Multiverse must be robust enough (in that sense)
to support the UD, especially given the independent plausibility of this
assumption. Is that it, more or less?

You're right that it's subtle. It's easy to miss (Edgar for one seems to
miss it completely). It seems to require a conceptual leap to the necessity
of a computational infinity with observer selection as the arbitrator of
the stability of physical appearance (the Programmatic Library of Babel).
Perhaps the UDA could spell this out more explicitly in step 7 (I can't
bring to mind what it actually says at that point)?

> > If the universe is not robust, then the
> > > counterfactuals are not physical, and so if physical supervenience
> > > were true, the counterfactuals are irrelevent to supervenience.
> > >

> > Yes, I get that part. So robust = Multiverse?
> >

> Sort of. Maybe. :) Certainly, the presence of a UD entails a
> Multiverse. And a Multiverse containing conscious entities is
> sufficiently robust for the reversal to occur.
>
> BTW - for those wanting to know if I ever changed my mind - until a
> year ago, I thought the Multiverse was a clear contraindicator to the
> Maudlin/MGA argument. And recently the realisation that all programs
> correspond to the proof of some sigma_1 proposition resolved a qualm I
> had with the use of Theatetus's notion of knowledge when applied to
> machines.

I'll have to think about that :)

Cheers

David