On 27 February 2014 22:22, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au> wrote:

Only when interpreted by an observer. An electrical circuit has only
> voltages and currents, not bits. To an observer, a voltage on a data
> line might be interpreted as 1 if it is greater than 3V, and zero if
> it is less than 1V. In between those two thresholds, the voltage might
> be determinate, but the information is not.

AFAICT observers don't seem central to constructor theory - it seems to be
(or aims at being) an "objective" theory from which everything else of
relevance will be emergent. From what I remember of the topic in FOR, David
isn't an avowed eliminativist on consciousness but on the whole seems
content to sideline it as a subsidiary problem for psychologists. That
said, do you feel that his information-is-physical position, even in the
case that physics-is-construction, is in effect crypto-eliminativism?

David