On Friday, April 18, 2014 8:22:00 PM UTC+1, telmo_menezes wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 6:20 PM, <ghi...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:

>>> You cannot infer causation because it could be reverse causation or
>>> there could be a hidden variable. In the reverse causation hypothesis,
>>> early schizophrenia traits would cause people to be more interested in
>>> smoking cannabis. In the hidden variable hypothesis, some other trigger
>>> (e.g environmental or genetic) would cause both a propensity for
>>> schizophrenia and to smoking cannabis. In both these scenarios, abstaining
>>> from cannabis would not improve your chances of not developing
>>> schizophrenia.
>>>

>> Telmo, I summarized a point adding an  "all being equal" statement. Is it
>> meaningful to throw out a wheelbarrow full of possible controls when
>> someone summarizes in a sentence?
>>

> "All being equal" means that we are assuming that the effect is not caused
>>> by some confounding variable. I gave you two alternative theories (not
>>> controls, much lesse a wheelbarrow of them) that equally fit the data "all
>>> being equal". You are just appealing to common sense.

 You're telling me what I meant by the generic term  'all being equal'?
You're saying  control, cannot relate to something about which there is
theory? You're bullshitting. What do you want? My statement was reasonable.
You weren't reasonable in your attack. I was under no obligation to list
all the ways things might need controls. What do you actually want here?
What got under your skin? You don't know as much as you are making out in
the points of detail. Because they aren't important in the context at the
level. I think this more politics. You don't like that I saw concerns about
connections with cannabis and mental illness. You don't have to like it.
There's report today about hard connections with brain abnormalities. Go
play with that...do your 'this is bad science' act on that. I respect you
telmo, but I'm going to have get over what you said about 'all being equal'
and the controls first because that was really stupid mate

>> Also, a lot of what you say here, talks about various causalities when
>> someone with a propensity is smoking pot. But the discussion was focussed
>> on whether pot should be available. So it would really matter would it,
>> precisely how it came to be statistically significant when someone wih
>> propensity puffs they are 2x more likely to become mentally ill. The point
>> is really that it does not matter which ways the causalities are going. If
>> there is a strong connection...a stong correlation...then that's a major
>> consideration. ion
>>

> It matters because the different hypothesis that you can draw from the
> same correlation lead to different predictions on the outcome of a certain
> action.

Telmo...look...how about you tell me what your expertise and experience is,
tell me your qualifications. Because I tell you what I think. I think
you're kneejerk reacting from a political standpoint. But I'm being
political, I'm expressing a reasoned view about the status of cannabis.
Below here you suggest I argued it was ground for banning it. But I made it
very clear I was not saying that at all.

You not reading anything carefully. You're bullying me that I am not
reasonable because I have made a claim about causation, when I clearly
didn't...I said in the meaningful sense HERE having just said to PGC I did
not think it was important what the fundamental causation was.

You not reading anything clearly. You're bullshitting above about terms.
Beloiw you alleging I've called for banning when I clearly said it was a
matter of risk, and these were conserations.

So look...I don't think you're a serious person at this moment. I don't
think you're well motivated. You've got political axe to grind. I don't.
Have a read of the article....and then maybe cool off and come back
tomorrow and give me another lesson in something. You obviously know a
great deal.