On 19 Apr 2014, at 00:52, meekerdb wrote:

On 4/18/2014 7:13 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
What society thinks has nothing to do with it, because weak correlation-based scientific evidence is used selectively to create laws that were desired a priori by some interest group.
That implies some nefarious motive and corrupt use of data known to be wrong. In fact there was no nefarious 'interest group' that wanted to ban marijuana or to ban alcohol or to ban heroin.

What? For marijuana, there were a lot. Anslinger was asked to find eveidence that cannabis was worst than alcohol. he destoyed the results which showed that cannabis is much less dangerous than alcohol. Nixon, Chirac (in France), adn also people in the UK, will destroyed such records too.

It is a made up since the start. That is why some people still speculate on dangers, for which there are no corresponding complains, with very few exception by person who abuse, and would probably not in case it would be legal.

All these bans were initiated by people who believed in the ill effects of these substances for individuals and for society.

I have no clue why you say this.

In many cases they had personal experience.

The first year of use of consumption of marjuana can be impressive, and by its paranoid effect, enhance in case of illegality.

I don't know people complaining about cannabis, I mean in the statistical sense, compared to other products.

That the bans may have given rise to criminal activities to circumvent them, isn't to the point of their origin.

I have stopped to believe that prohibition has anything to do with drug problem. Google on "youtube marijuana history". Its origin is in racism (Anslinger) + unfair competition with oil, and I get evidence it was orchestrated by criminals, in fact as a recycling of the alcohol prohibitionist machinery.

Drugs must be regulated, and we know today that illegality is what which makes them dangerous. You can also look at the site of LEAP (an organization of "war on drug" cops veteran who understood the complete nonsense and the perverse effect of prohibition:

http://www.leap.cc/

You will find many references which explains the non sense of prohibition of drugs, and its "real" motivation.