From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Samiya Illias
Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2014 8:15 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: cannabis, cancer and mechanism, and climate.

>> Chris, I was replying to Spudboy100 who refuses to consider the Quran
>> because of the 'jihadis' 'behavoir' . The point I was trying to make is that
>> some people, from all religious persuasions, do strange and at times
>> horrible things. We need to look past people and their behaviours, and
>> examine the religious texts to evaluate for ourselves what it is. We are all
>> responsible for our own beliefs and actions. We come to this world alone, we
>> will leave it alone. What religious label we are born in, which religious
>> label or not we choose, eventually we all must face death alone, and
>> whatever's beyond that. Wishing it away because some people are poor
>> ambassadors or poor communicators of the message, won't change things
>> according to our wishes. We humans have intelligence and a vast wondrous
>> world full of thoughts and ideas and science and signs... we must explore
>> everything we can for its own merit before discarding it.

I agree we all must face death alone. The realization that our personal destiny
is to die, to perish, to be forever gone… is exceedingly hard to accept and is
the fuel that drives all faiths.

On this Everything list, I see earnest seekers exploring almost everything, but
somehow they stop short of scripture, especially Quran. I understand much of
this has to do with a filtered view of history, long-held prejudices, popular
media, as well as the actions of people who poorly understand or use the
religion, etc. The thing is, to understand everything, we must be willing to
explore everything.

Samiya I am going to stand by my statement that Islam has also been spread by
the sword. For example, the conquest of Sassanid Persia and the, that began
with the conquest of Mesopotamia by Arab forces led by Khalid ibn Walidin 633
AD. The Moghul conquest into India another example.

I am also aware of the golden age of Islam, and am especially in awe of Moorish
Spain at its flowering height of poetry, thought, science, philosophy
(including in its scope one of the most important flowering of Judaism and
Jewish culture ever, a fact few Americans are aware of.)

Sure Islam suffered the Crusades, but, for example the Ottoman’s almost took
Vienna and would have swept down through into the heartland of the Rhine river,
if the logistical bottleneck of trying to provision their massive invasion
force (it was huge even by modern standards) had not brought about supply
collapse and plague onto its own forces. Christianity converted just as
bloodily by the sword, all I am pointing out is that Islam – and Islamic
underpinned empires such as the Ottoman or Moghul Empires have been just as
enthusiastic in conquest as their Abrahamic cousins.

Chris

PS I will look at the links you gave.

To answer your question, you may find these versions of history different from
what you may know about Muslim conquests:

http://lostislamichistory.com/did-islam-spread-by-the-sword/

http://lostislamichistory.com/?s=crusades

http://lostislamichistory.com/the-crusades-part-3-liberation/

Samiya