On 4/30/2014 1:41 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 30 Apr 2014, at 05:10, 'Chris de Morsella' via Everything List wrote:

*From:*everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com> [mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com]*On Behalf Of*meekerdb
On 4/29/2014 1:18 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

    If my consciousness can survive a physical digital substitution, then it
survives
    an arithmetical digital substitution, and what we call the moon has to be
recovered
    as a stable pattern emerging from an infinity of computations in
arithmetic, and
    cannot be related from anything else.

The point is that "what we call the Moon"  IS the Moon.
IMO - both points of view, are valid though. You are correctly equating the definition or label of the moon with the qualia -- i.e. the moon experience.

He was assuming we were awake. In my dreams, what I call the moon a planet made of cheese. Is *that* the moon?

That's why I wrote "what WE call the Moon". The meaning of terms in language depends on agreed understanding of speaker and hearer. You can't ostensively define the moon in your dreams to someone else.

Brent

It seems to me that Bruno was describing a hypothesized means by which that which "we call the moon" becomes manifest as the qualia we experience. That this qualia emerges through a dynamic computational process.

Well, hopefully for computationalism.

Bruno

Chris

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email toeverything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email toeverything-l...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>.
Visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/everything-list.

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/ <http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/%7Emarchal/>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>.