On 9 June 2014 13:58, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au> wrote:

> I, for one, do not think it such a crazy idea.
>
> When I was a child, I used to chant silently 3 times the outcome I
> wanted before rolling a dice. Surprisingly, it seemed to work
> (although I could easily have been deluded by various sorts of
> selective memory effects). Of course it it worked to the point of
> changing objective outcomes, that truly would be miraculous. However,
> it always seemd that it might be possible to influence the subjective
> probabilities for future branches we occupy in the Multiverse. In a
> rather less controversial way we already do this by choosing which
> basis set to measure - if we choose to measure in the position basis, it
> is not surprising that the probability of ending up in a future with a
> well defined momentum result is therefore zero.

That is exactly the sort of thing my friend had in mind, I think.

> It was pointed out on this list that this implies zombies exist. Well
> it would if the probability of a future branch truly goes to zero, but
> not if the effect is to say favour branch A by ten times branch B,
> where objectively branch A and B are equally probable. Whatever method
> is employed to do this, it must sometimes fail (otherwise zombies
> would indeed exist!).
>
> OK, my take on this is that zombies do exist! That is, if you can really
do it, yet the multiverse is deterministic, that implies that when there
are 10 distinct outcomes and you want one of them (say) for it to be
meaningful that you get it, in the 10 futures 9 of the yous are p-zombies
and one is conscious. Otherwise, how do we reconcile this with (a)
unitarity and determinism, and (b) everyone else having the same ability?

Suppose there are 10 futures, and Alice wants future A and B wants future
B? They both try really hard to get their one...

And the multiverse is deterministic...

Then Alice gets A, Bob gets B (from their 1p point of view) and p-zombie
Alice occupies all branches but A, and similarly for Bob.

I cannae see how else it could work, Captain. (But perhaps that's just my
limited imagination.)