On 12 Jul 2014, at 21:17, meekerdb wrote:

On 7/12/2014 1:23 AM, LizR wrote:
Brent,

You left me hanging a week or so ago, and never got back to me about something I'm interested in finding out more about.

On 2 July 2014 23:14, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 2 July 2014 17:06, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
On 7/1/2014 9:42 PM, LizR wrote:
On 2 July 2014 15:46, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
OK, so how does that work? Like I said, I don't understand it. Intuitively, saying that A causes B and B causes A doesn't appear to make sense,
It's not a causal relationship, it's an explanatory "->".

Sorry I should have said "explains" although I thought it was obvious I was using causal in an explanatory sense, not a physical one. Anyway, please continue the explanation.
You don't understand what is meant by "physics -> biology" or "biology -> evolution -> mathematics" or "mathematics -> physics"?

Yes I do.

And there you stopped. I'm still waiting for you to continue the explanation.

To refresh your memory, you said:

OK, except I think the chain is:
arithmetic -> information -> matter -> consciousness -> arithmetic

To which I objected that I couldn't see how this makes sense globally, even if each local step makes sense. You appear to be claiming that there is no such thing as a fundamental explanatory level. Since this flies in the face of 3+ centuries of scientific progress (based on reductionism, which assumes there is a fundamental explanatory level)

It's just that I noted that fundamental physics has become almost entirely abstract and mathematical, so that people like Tegmark and Wheeler started to speculate that the mathematics *is* the physics.

Not at all.
First, it is the physicalist, or metaphycaily naturalist which speculate on a primary physical universe. As much I agree that there are evidence for a physica reality, there are no evidence for a primary physical reality. Then, look at my preceding post to you. I don't know for Tegmark, but computationalism excels in differentiating and relating the different sort of existence: ontological, epistemological, observational, communicable or not, theological, etc.

Lists like this that subscribe to everythingism Bruno's "comp" and Tegmark's MUH completely erase the boundary between math and physics.

On the contrary, Comp introduces a clear distinction between the physical, core of all universal being, and the geographical, which are the contingencies of the normal universal numbers living above their substitution level.

Physics is done today is just fuzzy about such distinction.

The 3+ centuries of reductionist physics are also 3+ centuries of explaining things through synthesis of simpler (and presumably better understood) things. At the same time I think mathematics is a human invention, a certain way of looking at the world made precise in language. Humans and their inventions are explicable by evolution, biology, physics,...and mathematics. So maybe the circle closes. The usual objection of a circular explanation is it leaves stuff out, especially if it leaves out all the stuff you understand and just explains mystery X in terms of enigma Y. But if the circle is big enough, if it encompasses everything, then either there's some part you understand and that allows you to reach all the rest; or you don't understand anything and there's no hope for you.

UD* is full of many circles. If some circle win, that needs to be explained.

, not to mention what most people would regard as logic (or at least common sense), this looks like a fairly radical revision of our theories of knowledge.

So I'd be interested to know more, if you're prepared to continue explaining.

As I said, I don't have my own TOE. I just put forward the virtuous circle of explanation based on a suggestion of Bruno (which he's disavowed) as a counter example to the idea that reductionism must either bottom out or be like infinite Russian dolls.

With mechanism, you have a nice simple ontology, and besides, physics becomes "machine-independent". It does not depend which universal base of phi_i you start with. You appreciate how Vic Stenger (and Emmy Noether) derive some physical laws by postulating their invariance for some transformation. Comp gives a very strong invariance principle: indeed it redefines and explain physics in a new way which is invariant for universal base ontology. Useless in practice, but conceptually coherent with the canonical machine's sciences and correct theologies.

But again, my point is not that comp gives a better theory. My point is that you cannot have both comp and primitive matter, and that if you keep comp, matter is refined as an computer-science-theoretical observational modality. We can test it, refute it, and measure our degree of non-computability, or improve it, etc.

No problem with physics. Only a problem with dogmatic Aristotelian believer in a primitive "natural world". Comp justifies already why If there is a world, it has to be described by non Boolean Observable, and why it looks like a measure in some space, etc. Today comp is agnostic on "a physical world", but it explains where and how the materiality appears, (indeed quite like Plotinus explain matter by translating in platonist realm the Aristotle definition of matter, basically (by ~[]# or <>#) actually).