Hi Telmo,

  Access to resources seems to only allow for reproduction and
continuation. For an AGI to "act on the world" it has to be able to use
those resources in a manner that implies that it can "sense the world" that
it exist within. This seems to be a catch-22 situation. ISTM, that if a
computation has no means to model itself as existing in a world or the
equivalent, how would it ever operate as if it did in the first place?
Blind clock-work....?

On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 6:49 AM, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 2:24 AM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 1 September 2014 04:27, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 7:30 AM, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>  > The Kolmogorov complexity of AGI could be relatively low -- maybe it
>>>>

>>> That is not a crazy idea because we know for a fact that in the entire
>>> human genome there are only 3 billion base pairs. There are 4 bases so each
>>> base can represent 2 bits, there are 8 bits per byte so that comes out to
>>> just 750 meg, and that's enough assembly instructions to make not just a
>>> brain and all its wiring but a entire human baby. So the instructions MUST
>>> contain wiring instructions such as "wire a neuron up this way and then and
>>> then repeat that procedure exactly the same way 917 billion times". And
>>> there is a huge amount of redundancy in the human genome, if you used a
>>> file compression program like ZIP on that 750 meg you could easily put the
>>> entire thing on half a CD, not a DVD not a Blu ray just a old fashioned
>>> steam powered vanilla CD.
>>>
>>> This is enough information to build a general purpose conscious being,
>> it would appear, but a baby is only born with some fairly simple
>> instinctive behaviour (plus the adolescent gains some more instinctive
>> behaviour at puberty). Even the visual cortex, which is probably not
>> conscious and probably comes out roughly similar in most people, is created
>> by trial and error. The neocortex must be even more so, to the Nth degree.
>> Hence you have 750 meg of data (or whatever the figure is) that builds an
>> infant, then you have a world which educates them.
>>
>> As per what I was saying about Watson (or whatever it's called), the baby
>> needs to be immersed in an environment in order to develop any form of
>> consciousness beyond the rudimentary raw feels provided by nature - that
>> is, it needs to be educated by interaction with the environment, and with
>> other people (i.e. assimilate culture).
>>

> Agreed, but this is precisely what makes the AGI scenario scary. Imagine
> this potentially simple algorithm (similar to the one encoded in our DNA)
> being able to bootstrap itself with the information available on the
> Internet. Now imagine it has access to computational resources that makes
> it 1000x faster than the average human brain....
>

>>  --
>>

>  --

Kindest Regards,

Stephen Paul King