On 9/12/2014 10:25 PM, LizR wrote:
On 13 September 2014 08:17, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 9/12/2014 2:20 AM, LizR wrote:
    On 12 September 2014 14:19, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net
    <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

        One counter argument is to note that math has been "unreasonably
effective" in
        Ptolemaic astronomy, Newtonian physics, fluid dynamics, non-relativistic
        quantum mechanics, and other theories which we now think were mere
        approximations.  This seems much more consistent with mathematics being
        descriptive rather than prescriptive.

    Or equally consistent, at least. Assuming that maths is broader than what is
    required to describe (or generate) our universe, this is equally consistent
with
    the MUH.
    I don't think it's equal.  If MUH is true then all those other mathematical
theories
must be realized in some other universes where they are not just approximations. Then it's no longer the case that mathematics is unreasonably effective in picking
    out our universe; it could "pick out" any one of them. Either it would just
be
    chance that we're in THIS mathematical universe, or there's an anthropic
selection
    that prevents intelligent beings in universes with different mathematical
bases.

It seems obvious to me that there would be an anthropic selection effect. Organisms (probably) couldn't exist in a universe made from, for example, Newtonian physics - you (probably) need quantum physics for fidelity of reproduction, and maybe for making brains.

Yes, I agree that there's bound to be some anthropic selection, although I'm not sure why a Newtonian universe is ruled out by that. Quantum physics, as we've formulated it depends on a continuum. I would expect that most continuum based theories could support intelligent life simply because they permit lots of information. But it's very speculative.