> On 14-Oct-2014, at 3:28 pm, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

>>> OK, that is a bit of platonism. Truth is beyond all representations, and
>>> the physical might be a representation, in fact an unknown sum on
>>> infinities of representations.

>>> But is it not idolatrous (I ask) to pretend that one book got it all, and
>>> all others are wrongdoers constructions?
>>
>> I do not believe or state any such thing. I keep affirming that many books
>> and many prophets came throughout the ages.
>> And I do not worship the Quran. I worship Allah (The Deity) who sent the
>> Quran for our guidance,
>
> Perhaps.
>

>> and because it is from Allah and for our guidance, I take it very seriously.
>> I also respect other scriptures as from God, but as they have suffered human
>> alterations, I rarely use them and when I do, I cross-check with what the
>> Quran says about the same topic, simply because the Quran has not suffered
>> change. What's idolatrous about that?
>
> Even if the Quran has not changed (which I doubt), you can't be sure that
> Muhammad, a human, get the sounds right. If not, you make Muhammad into a
> sort of God, and that is again the dangerous thing to believe, even in the
> case it is true.

When God does anything, He ensures that it is done properly. So, when He sends
revelation, He ensures that it is delivered and communicated. Consider this:
Holy Quran 72:27
------------------
إِلَّا مَنِ ارْتَضَىٰ مِنْ رَسُولٍ فَإِنَّهُ يَسْلُكُ مِنْ بَيْنِ يَدَيْهِ
وَمِنْ خَلْفِهِ رَصَدًا

Except whom He has approved of messengers, and indeed, He sends before each
messenger and behind him observers
Holy Quran 72:28
------------------
لِيَعْلَمَ أَنْ قَدْ أَبْلَغُوا رِسَالَاتِ رَبِّهِمْ وَأَحَاطَ بِمَا لَدَيْهِمْ
وَأَحْصَىٰ كُلَّ شَيْءٍ عَدَدًا

That he may know that they have conveyed the messages of their Lord; and He has
encompassed whatever is with them and has enumerated all things in number.

>>> Human are easily credulous. They can believe that the best medicinal plant
>>> is a dangerous product which has to be made illegal!
>>>
>>> You can use the Quran as a guide to the truth, but you cannot equate it
>>> with the truth, you can't appropriate the truth, only share experiences,
>>> and, if only to be able to listen genuinely to others, you need to be able
>>> to doubt, perhaps not the root of your belief, but the shape the beliefs
>>> can take for some possible other believers or hopers.
>>
>> Of course
>
> OK. But that is not always clear in the way you address the problem.

I sent another email soon after the above quoting the verse to never be of
those who doubt. I allow for others to doubt, but for me the whole Quran is a
message sent from God. I understand some of it, and I try to understand what I
do not, but I doubt my knowledge and understanding, not the knowledge and
wisdom of the Quran.

Samiya