On 28 October 2014 22:52, Richard Ruquist <yann...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Liz,
>
> I define consciousness as my ability to make choices.

That is an unusual definition, and not one I think most people would agree
with, although they'd probably agree it's *involved* in consciousness. But
yes, using that definition the MWI makes consciousness an illusion.

(Most people call the ability to make choices free will. That is an
illusion under the MWI, and indeed most theories of physics.)

> Bruno responds with the Gaussian  (somewhat like measure theory)
> which suggests that some worlds are less important than this one.

I don't know about Bruno but David Deutsch appears to think that some
decisions will have a much higher measure in the multiverse than others.
So, say, 99.99% of me (so to speak) will have coffee and only 0.01% will
decide on a whim to have a milkshake. (And 0.0000000000001% will think so
hard about it that they spontaneously combust.)