On 03 Feb 2015, at 05:26, John Clark wrote:

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 3:50 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> I believe you're wrong to assume intelligence=>consciousness. That may be an accident

If consciousness was just a lucky accident Evolution would ensure that it didn't exist for long. Conscious does not effect behavior (that's why the Turing Test doesn't work)

If conscious does not effect behavior, unconsciousness too! I know what I will say to the cops if they catch me sleeping when I drive my car. "Come on Lieutenant, I always make my nap when driving home! We don't need consciousness for that".

We don't need consciousness to follow the plan A. But we need it to be aware of the plan B, and retrieve it quickly in case of urgence.

Consciousness is an unconscious act of faith: the belief there is a ground below your feet, and a sum up of a spectrum of possibilities (once I stand up, I can fall).

Once conscious, machine efficaciousness/competence speed exponentially (but with the possible abuses and a corresponding level of "stupidity").

Bruno

so it doesn't enhance survival, so from Evolution's point of view it would be as useless as eyes are for cave animals, and it would disappear in a dozen generations or so due to genetic drift just as the eyes of cave animals did.
> of how carbon-based life developed intelligence.

So carbon atoms are conscious but silicon atoms are not. Well... I can't prove that's wrong but I really think it is.

  John K Clark