meekerdb wrote:
On 3/28/2015 12:33 AM, Bruce Kellett wrote:

No, as I said, I do not think it is helpful to describe the sequence of brain states as a calculation. If you simulate the actual brain states by doing a lot of calculations on a computer, then you will reproduce the original conscious moment. But the conscious moment itself does not calculate anything. The simulation of brain states could be written out on paper, or use any number of look-up tables (as efficient programs tend to do). It is still a simulation of the original brain states, and if accurate, the conscious experience will be recreated.

Ok, I was using the term "calculation" to distinguish the static thing, as written out on paper, from the dynamic process, "computation", because I thought it was a distinction you were making so that the latter was conscious but not the former. Did I misinterpret you?

I wasn't really making a distinction between 'calculation' and 'computation'. According to the OED, 'computation' is a result got by calculation, though I see it can also mean the act of calculation. Wikipedia says: "Calculation is a term for the computation of numbers, while computation is a wider reaching term for information processing in general." I don't think this latter distinction has much traction outside the computer science community.

The point I was making was I see a calculation as the evaluation of a function over numbers. In this context, taking some input and producing an output. The conscious state does not really produce an output. The calculations (computations) involve take input action potentials (or whatever) and responds to these via a sequence of neuron firings and signal transmissions. Is the output the result of computing a function? I suppose in the most general sense of 'computing' you might say so, but consciousness supervenes on these neural processes: it is not actually the calculation itself, so simulating the results of the original computations can still produce consciousness.

The calculation written out on paper is a static thing, but the result of that calculation might still be part of a simulation that produces consciousness. Though, unless Barbour is right and the actuality of time can be statically encoded in his 'time capsules (current memories of past instances)', I was thinking in terms of a sequence of these states (however calculated).

Bruce