On 04 Apr 2015, at 01:26, Bruce Kellett wrote:

meekerdb wrote:
On 4/2/2015 8:55 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
The only reason that the dovetailer might have to worry about time limitations is if it is actually a physical computer. Physical computers have to contend with such things as physical laws, the finite speed of light, the properties of materials, the generation of heat (entropy) and the need to remove that heat to a safe distance before everything melts down. If your computer is not a physical device, then it has none of these limitations, and there is no such concept available as the 'speed' of the computation, the 'time for each step', or anything of this sort. From our external concrete perspective, the whole thing is instantaneous, or it enters statis at some point and gets nowhere. For a non- physical computer these things are equivalent.

So without a physical computer you have no dynamics. A mere ordering of states is still a static thing, and the dovetailer does nothing useful that could not more easily be done by referring to a normal number.
Why would it not have the same dynamics as in any Platonia version of physics, e.g. a block universe simulated in a digital computer? The states don't even have to be computed in their inherent time order.

Bruno doesn't argue for this -- as far as I can see he moves from a physical computer straight into Platonia,

? No, I often use the block universe to illustrate the similarity here. and I don't move straight into "Platonia", I use the MGA, and eventually the math.

without any attempt at a justification for the move.

You have not answer the question: do you agree that at step 7, and thus in presence of primitive physical universe running a universal dovetailer, physics is reduce to a mathematical problem.

Unfortunately for his case, if you start with a physical computer, you have to start with a set of physical laws and that will run this machine composed of physical matter in an orderly manner. It cannot bootstrap itself -- run the machine and this itself generates the laws that enable the machine to run? Argue the self-referential bootstrap, don't just ignore the problem.

To avoid such problem, I divided the reasoning in smaller step. I can't comment this without knowing if youe have seen the reversal in step seven. It looks you do. So what you say amount to say that you believe there is something wrong in the MGA.
OK, so what is wrong?

But a more significant point, it seems to me, is that time in the block universe works by taking some subsystem and using it as a clock.

But that can be done in the simulation of the Milky Way, or of any computable solution of some physical laws. And also, in "platonia" (sigma_1 arithmetical truth), you have a universal clock: the steps of the UD itself.

But the clock function is instantiated by showing correlations between the regular dynamics of the clock and the dynamics of the rest of the universe. In other words, the universe has to run according to regular dynamical laws that apply equally to the clock subsystem and to the rest. Without these regular correlations you have no clock, and no time.

Digitalness entails the existence of a universal time, given by the ordering of the steps of the UD, which can be defined in arithmetic. Of course, that universal time has only quite indirect relations with possible physical time, which emerge from inside, in the first person view of the entities emulated by the UD. Your argument is not valid.

Barbour's solution is rather different, and more ingenious, because he doesn't actually recreate physical time or dynamics. He simply connects otherwise unrelated slices by his 'time capsules'. One can argue for ever whether this actually works, but it is an ingenious possibility.

The computer's memories of the entities emulated by the UD (equivalently sigma_1 arithmetic) plays the role of time capsule, and can be defined formally in arithmetic.

The problem I see is that Bruno has not made any attempt to argue for any sensible notion of time when he moves into Platonia.

I submit a problem for the computationalist.

Now you are unfair, because the math part shows the solution (and show it empirically testable). Both a physical time and a subjective time emergence is explained with all details.

The fact that you say that I made no attempt is proof that you have not yet begin to study the reasoning, the problem and the illustration of testable solution.

He can refer to relations among numbers in arithmetic as 'computations', but that is just a play with words -- there is still no dynamics involved.

There is, and as Brent argue correctly, it is similar to any block universe theory, except that I show the "block-reality" is bigger, immaterial, and might contain white rabbits, and then I show why those white rabbits seems to disappear by a process similar to Feynman quantum phase randomization. This lead to open problem in mathematical logic (one has been solved by a student of mine).

And Bruno really does need dynamics in order to make a computational model of consciousness different from a static recording.

I need the digital dynamics -, and that one is provided by the step notion of computation. That involves only the static notions of successor, addition and multiplication.

The MGA is an argument from incredulity -- it is not a valid argument.

You might elaborate. See my answer to Russell.

This is why I have said several times in previous posts that you rely on an underlying notion of physical time, and an underlying physical computer, in order to make your computation dynamic and not static. What you say above does not let you escape from this conclusion, it merely reinforces it. The problem of time is your undoing.
I think the UD necessarily takes unlimited time. Given any particular state the UD will visit that state infinitely many times and compute infinitely many different successive states. It doesn't halt, so all the different successor states are never completed. These states may be indexed by some internal time, per Barbour.

I agree that the UD, implemented physically, will take an infinite time and will compute an infinite variety of variations on any particular state -- though why we should happen to find ourselves in a state with other people and a physical world remains unexplained.

That is my point. And the answer will be given by the discourse on what is observable made by the universal (Löbian) machine.

The Boltzmann brain problem is probably worse for Bruno than the white rabbit problem.

Too vague. A priori it is the contrary, as the UD expliciltly build among many other things all Boltzman brain of any size, and run them entirely, without using probabilistic considerations.

Nevertheless, without actually providing a solution to the problem of time in his model -- which involves justifying the step from a physical computer running the UD, to Platonia

That step is the main content of the work. And yes it leads to problem, and I show how to solve them, and I give the entire solution at the propositional level, adding only to comp the idea-definition that knowledge obeys the axiomatic of the logic S4 (all analytical philosophers agree with this).

which is static -- Bruno has not, it seems to me, demonstrated that consciousness is a computation in unphysical Platonia.

Even you read the works, you should understand that consciousness is not a computation in unphysical platonia, nor is matter.

You give me the feeling that you criticize a vague simplification of the work and not the work itself. The work is deductive and does not propose any new theory. It would ease the progress of the conversation if you could say where you have a precise problem in the reasoning.

Of course we have Platonia right at the start, and you have no problem with it, given that platonia is only the idea that 2+2=4 independently of me and you. So, at step zero, we already know that the computations exist in "platonia" (that follows from 2+2=4, or the axioms given). But at that stage, we can still hope that the physical will do the difference, and this is shown epistemologically contradictory with the MGA, unless you believe that a recording can be conscious, or that inactive objects at time t can have an active role at time t, etc.

Let us be sure you are OK up to step 7, and then we can discuss more easily the step 8.

Bruno

Bruce