On 29 Mar 2015, at 08:43, Bruce Kellett wrote:

meekerdb wrote:
On 3/28/2015 12:33 AM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
meekerdb wrote:
You're saying the static written out calculation instantiates a bit of consciousness? Does it matter in what language it is written or whether anyone can read it? In some language it might just be a single line, as Feynman joked, X=0. How does it get it's meaning?

It is the sequence of brain states that gives rise to consciousness -- the calculations are relevant only for the simulation of this sequence of states. That is how the calculations get their meaning.

It is only if you insist that your computing mechanism is counterfactually correct that you can say that a recording cannot reconstitute consciousness, but the computing mechanism is not the calculation that corresponds to consciousness.
That agrees with Bruno's view that the mechanism is irrelevant, it is the abstract computation, that exists in Platonia, that corresponds to consciousness. Since all physics is simply inferred from conscious experiences and thoughts then the material world should be explained in terms of those abstract computations that instantiate thoughts. He then goes onto to suppose that all possible computations are done, in the abstract, by the Universal Dovetailer running of the UTM in Platonia. Then the state his problem is to show that the apparent order we observe and agreement in perception can be recovered from within this potential infinitude of computation.

Quite. I do not think that Russell's 'White Rabbit' arguments do much in this direction. Bruno has to derive QM from the UD,

Assuming QM is correct (which is quite plausible, so OK)
And I derived the quantum logic already.

not just point to some chance similarities between FPI and the MWI.

No, those comparison are used only for those who believe that being multiplied all the time is absurd.

Anyway, the point is that we have no choice: if comp is true then physics *has* to be derived from machine or arithmetical self- reference (that is from RA). That is the result. I just illustrate then that indeed universal machine get quickly the quantum logic (with some difference perhaps, but that remains to be seen).

Then, when interviewing tha universal (Löbian) machines, we get not only physics, but also the non communicable part of physics.

I got perhaps only the shadow of the quanta, but I got also the shadow of the quanta, and a conceptual frame where we can see the shape of the solution of the mind-body problem (which was part of the goal). In contrast, the more rigorous materialist/physicalist, like Dennett, just eliminate consciousness as an illusion, which is pure nonsense to me (and probably to anyone conscious).

Actually, he just needs to derive Newtonian physics, or even some basic symmetries of spacetime.

Once the quantum logic is here, yes. And we got the symmetries, but space-time is the hardest part.

The problem of miracles in the UD will not go away easily.

I am glad to hear that. personally, I still think this might lead to a refutation of comp. Without Gödel and Everett, I would most probably disbelieve in computationalism.

Bruno

Bruce